How To Apply
Use Your Federal Aid First
Always use available grant and scholarship aid before applying for a loan. When considering your loan options, remember to access your federal aid before applying for private loans. Federal loans usually have lower, fixed interest rates and more flexible repayment options than private loans. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Aid website:
Federal Student Aid
- File your FAFSA
- Review your SAR
- Complete the Verification Process (if selected)
- Review your Financial Aid Offer Letter
- Apply for Additional Loan Funding (if necessary)
- Complete your Financial Aid Requirements
- Collect the documents needed to apply, including income tax returns and W-2 forms (as well as other records of income). A full list of what you need is at www.studentaid.gov.
- Apply online (the fastest and easiest way) by logging onto www.studentaid.gov. Please utilize Rowan University's federal school code: 002609. Free help is available online or by contacting the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) for assistance.
- Electronically sign your FAFSA using your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. Please log onto http://fsaid.ed.gov to create or edit your FSA ID. The FSA ID must be used to log into various U.S. Department of Education websites.
- Review this summary of the information from your FAFSA. If necessary, make changes or corrections by going to www.studentaid.gov and selecting "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA."
- Verification may occur for CMSRU Institutional Scholarship applicants.
- Students selected for verification will be notified of their selection by CMSRU Financial Aid.
- Students must submit the required documentation to CMSRU Financial Aid.
- Until CMSRU Financial Aid has received the documents required, CMSRU scholarship applicants will not be offered CMSRU institutional aid.
- CMSRU accepted students must access their Financial Aid Offer Letter information electronically via Rowan Self Service: www.rowan.edu/selfservice.
- Accepted students must utilize their Rowan ID (user ID) and Rowan PIN to access Rowan Self Service.
- Accepted students will be provided with the procedures on how to access Rowan Self Service.
If you still need additional funding after you have borrowed your full eligibility under the Federal Direct Loan program, or if you do not meet the eligibility requirements for the federal loan program, you can apply for a Federal Graduate PLUS Direct Loan or you should pursue an alternative/private education loan from a private lender.
- You may apply for any amount up to the cost of attendance determined by CMSRU, minus any other aid (including federal loans) that you are receiving. Approval for these alternative loans is usually contingent upon the creditworthiness of the borrower. Most student applicants require a creditworthy co-signer. Alternative loans are available to students who do not meet Standards of Academic Progress.
- You should compare several lenders to find the best alternative loan to meet your needs. Please visit https://sites.rowan.edu/financial-aid/paying-for-college/loans/private-loans.html for a listing of all private loan lenders that provided loans to Rowan students during the most recent academic year. You may choose to borrow from a lender not on the list without penalty.
- Remember, an alternative loan is an agreement between the borrower and the lender. It is the borrower’s responsibility to carefully manage his/her educational loans. Please borrow wisely.
If you obtain alternative loans from private lenders:
- Students who borrow private educational loans are required to complete the Private Loan Self-Certification Form for each loan requested, before loan funds can be disbursed to Rowan University.
- Private educational loans include all Alternative loans. Private Educational Loan lenders will send the loan applicant the Self-Certification Form. Please follow all instructions from the lender and respond in a timely manner so that your loan can be processed as quickly as regulations allow.
- The student is responsible to complete the Self-Certification form and return it to the bank/lender, not to CMSRU. Information required for this form, Cost of Attendance and Estimated Financial Assistance, are found on your Financial Aid Offer Letter. If you do not understand any of the required documents, please contact your bank/lender for clarification.
- If you chose an alternative loan to fund educational expenses, please submit one private alternative loan application for the entire Academic Year. Please select one lender, as multiple applications will significantly delay the process of certifying your loan request.
- In the event CMSRU receives multiple requests for alternative loans for the same student, CMSRU certifies loan requests on a first come, first serve basis. Only the first loan application received will be certified.
- Once the proceeds of a certified private loan have been paid to CMSRU and all charges on the student’s account have been satisfied, the Bursar’s office will issue a refund check of excess aid to the student. If additional funds are required, the borrower must submit a new application through the private lender.
- The Federal Department of Education has developed an electronic signature process that will expedite the processing of your financial aid requirements, which are required for all student loan borrowers. All new first-time borrowers of Federal Direct Loans at CMSRU are required to complete Entrance Counseling and Sign a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) using the same FSA ID that you utilized to electronically sign your FAFSA.
- To complete Entrance Counseling, visit www.studentaid.gov. After you login, click on the "Complete Counseling" hyperlink on the left-hand side of the page.
- To complete your MPN for your Federal Direct Loan, visit www.studentaid.gov. After you login, click on the "Complete MPN" hyperlink on the left-hand side of the page. NOTE: if you opt to apply for a Graduate PLUS Direct Loan, you must also complete a separate Graduate PLUS MPN on top of completing the Direct Loan MPN for the Unsubsidized Direct Loan.